Information Technology and Software Engineering High School
Students who select this theme will be engaged in the
application of a systematic, disciplined, quantifiable
approach to the design, development, operation and
maintenance of software for careers in such fields as
science modeling, gaming, animation, simulation and
theater arts. Principal: Victor Black, Ed.D
Zoological Science, Research
and Biotechnology High School
Science for research in partnership with Beardsley Zoo
and local universities on the study of amphibians, for
example, will be a focus. Curriculum will be designed
to heighten an awareness of the environment and to
stimulate a passion to develop solutions for environmental preservation. Use of the school's natural settings will enhance laboratory and classroom instruction. Principal: Michael Watson, Ed.D
Physical Sciences, Engineering and
Aerospace/Hydrospace Science High School
In this STEM-based program, students will learn the
practical application of science and math to solve problems. Learning to use software, interacting with regional industry and collaborating with state and local universities, students will research, design and develop creative solutions for exploration and discovery. Principal: Jay Lipp
Student enrollment will be by application. Final selection will be determined by lottery and the size of student population of the sending town. Applications will be posted and available online at bridgeportedu.net and at this site.
Applications will also be available at each respective board of education office.
The campus will be comprised of three schools, each with its own instructional theme yet be able to interact supportively with each other for project success. Curriculum for each will be fundamentally rigorous but will continually evolve as new technologies are inserted to allow skill levels to be current with research and industry.
The new $126 million state-of-the-art Fairchild-Wheeler Multi-Magnet High School - the largest and most ambitious school infrastructure project in Connecticut history - will officially open its doors this August. The visionary Interdistrict Magnet High School will be the most environmentally friendly school in the state. LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold certified, the building will get close to 120kW of power from wind turbines and solar panels. It will have a green roof design and its construction includes eco-friendly building materials with energy-efficient mechanical systems. The completed landscaping will use native vegetation and 76% of the site will be maintained as open space.
This hi-tech school, which in itself will be a teaching and learning tool for students and staff, will offer a 21st century STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) project-based curriculum focusing on three areas: Information Technology, Biotechnology/Zoological science and Physical Science, Math and Aerospace/Hydrospace Engineering. The Information Technology program will work in conjunction with Sacred Heart University; the Biotechnology and Zoological science program will work in conjunction with The University of Connecticut, the Beardsley Zoo and Mystic Aquarium; and the Physical Science, Math and Aerospace/Hydrospace Engineering program will offer learning and internship programs with the University of Bridgeport, the Discovery Museum, Sikorsky, Kongsberg and other area companies. Partnerships with the three universities will provide significant opportunities for students to acquire college credits. Seven hundred fifty (750) students in grades 9-10 will attend the school when it opens this fall. Seventy percent (70%) of the students will come from Bridgeport and the other 30% will come from the surrounding communities of Trumbull, Fairfield, Shelton, Stratford, Easton/Redding, Monroe and Milford.
Teachers, staff and parents are advised to tune into Channel 3, Channel 6, Channel 8, Channel 12, STAR 99.9 FM WEZN, WCUM 1450 AM (Spanish), WICC-600 AM and WEBE 108 FM for up-to-date information on school closing or delay. This information should be available starting at 6:00 a.m. each occurrence.